Monday, February 2, 2015

The Practical Son


He said to me, "I suppose one of my favorite stories is about the Lord Jesus and the practical son." Joe McKeever

We actually know him better as the "Prodigal Son", but that little slip reminded me of how easy it is to hear one thing and think another. I'm pretty sure that the person who said that had heard the word "practical" a lot more often than "prodigal", but I suspect that many of us who have heard (and used) "prodigal" have never given a lot of thought to what it actually means. For a long time, I even assumed that it had something to do with him coming back to his father, but here's what the dictionary says: "Prodigal - recklessly spendthrift, wastefully extravagant, lavish."
And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. Luke 15:11-13
So, "prodigal" had to do with how he started rather than how he finished. He took his heritage - all that his father had treasured up to bless him with - and trashed it. He treasured trash so much that he blew his past and his future on present sensual indulgence. To add a little more sting to it, answer me this: When do you normally inherit? That’s right, after someone has DIED! So this son was basically saying, “Dad, I can’t wait for you to die!" This Prodigal had a Practical Plan with a Powerfully Painful Point.
“But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants."’ Luke 15:17-19
Practically speaking - pun intended - the son had to expect some "I told you so's", a couple of "just dessert's", and a major possibility of a "You wished I was dead, so now you're dead to me!" But he was out of options, so he dropped the slop and pointed himself toward home, practicing his speech, preparing for his humiliation, and pondering what might happen.
For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate. Luke 15:24
There’s no practical reason for this response, but there is a very personal one. We call it “Love”. And it’s that same love that awaits every sinner who repents, a Heavenly Father calling for a joyful Celebration. It’s time to get practical, and choose the Prodigal’s return path!

No comments:

Post a Comment