Monday, April 22, 2013

The Juggler




I possess a few skills, carefully honed over a lifetime of discipline and effort to an almost butter knife level of sharpness. I can cook on an outdoor grill without ever once - in 40 years - burning down a house. I can vacuum a carpet or squish a bug - often at the same time! I can drive a stick shift, 3-, 4-, even 5-on-the-floor, not to mention 3-on-the-tree. Impressive, I know. But one of the skills I’m most proud of is, of course, my juggling.
Many years ago, I came across a book in the library that promised to teach anyone how to juggle in just minutes a day. I checked it out, read a few pages and looked at diagrams, and then did something that few attempt. (All the self help books on your shelves are no use if you don’t actually help your self!) I grabbed 3 tennis balls and went out in the backyard (to minimize damage) and tried. And tried. Amazingly enough the book was correct. Any idiot CAN learn how to juggle!
Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings, not unimportant people. Proverbs 22:29
I like to think I have a reasonably accurate grasp of my limitations. I never acquired a level of skill that would get me on TV, not even cable access. And I have yet to be informed of a Command Performance for any semblance of royalty. Three balls with the occasional drop is as far as I’ve gotten, but I did get one other thing out of my afternoon in the backyard - a glorious sense of accomplishment, and a sneaking suspicion that my Dad was right - I really CAN do just about anything I set my mind to!
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Yes, I really can. I can discern what’s going on in people’s lives - not mind reading, spiritual awareness from the Spirit of God. I can stand firm on the Truth of the Gospel. I can love the unlovely, forgive the unmerciful, bless those who curse me, bind up the wounded, search for the lost. Everything that God wants me to do, He empowers me to do. I stand before the King of kings and Lord of lords, juggling for the souls of men and women.
I used to hear people say about people who were full of themselves, “He has delusions of Grandeur”. Me? I don’t even have Delusions of Adequacy, which is great because instead of trusting in my own skills and talents and resources, I’m forced to trust in His. No, I don’t have an Inferiority Complex, just a valid assessment. And I’ve learned the Secret. His resources are Abundant. Sufficient. Superior to the best humanity has to offer in every conceivable way. The skill that stands me before my King is not some parlor trick learned in afternoon once upon a time, it is Faith, the activity of the Redeemed - Forsaking All I Trust Him.
Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Is anything too hard for Him? I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment