Monday, September 4, 2017

The Cost of Carelessness



Our buddy Wayne is blessed to be alive today. Last season, he got up in his deer stand and was pulling his rifle up on a rope. While this is normal, how he was doing it was….less than optimal. Not smart. OK, it was STUPID! Which is funny considering how serious he has always been about safety. He drills it into everyone who hunts with him. How you get into the stand, how you handle your weapon, who is around you and where they are supposed to be. He doesn’t want you to take foolish chances or put yourself in a position to get hurt. Which is all good and wise until you ignore your instructions your own self!
He was hunting with a muzzle loader, one of the ole-timey rifles that holds one bullet at a time. It has a hammer, which gets a firing cap. When you pull the trigger, the hammer smacks down, exploding the cap, which sets off the powder inside the rifle. The key thing here is, don’t put the cap on until you are ready to shoot, because the gun can’t fire without it. Especially if you’re pulling it up a tree by a rope. With the muzzle pointing UP. Where, as the rifle is swinging back and forth it can contact the ladder, causing the hammer to get cocked enough to cause the rifle to fire.
Wayne is BLESSED to be alive today, with only the loss of a pinkie finger to remind him how close he came to Eternity.
One interesting thing about it, if he had died on Friday, everyone who knew him would have suspected foul play. His son told me that they would have believed he had been murdered rather than believe he did so many things that he had preached so fervently against. Which reminds me of a verse I try to keep close to my heart:
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27
Ever since I was a kid, I’ve noticed how people feel about Hypocrites – those who claim spirituality but practice the opposite. Some might accept a role as deacon, while keeping a refrigerator stocked with alcohol. Others might have a sweet face on Sunday but treat their family and neighbors with contempt and harsh language. One nurse was sure all the preachers were hypocrites because one pastor who had had surgery and was under heavy doses of morphine in the hospital cussed like a sailor. To be fair, few preachers are born knowing their destiny. Most of us grew up and had lives and used words we don’t use any more, and drugs can take away our control, so I’d cut him some slack.
On the other hand, some of those you’ve heard about who had affairs or were abusive or were only in it for the money don’t get that slack, just don’t blame God for their mistakes. Anybody can get careless – just ask Wayne. His mistakes will serve as a warning to me the next time I climb into a deer stand – and just maybe, the next time I am tempted to do something I have preached against!
Psalm 25:20 Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment