Thursday, December 13, 2012

Foreign Gods


And Samuel said to all the house of Israel, “If you are returning to the LORD with all your heart, then put away the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth from among you and direct your heart to the LORD and serve him only, and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.” 1 Samuel 7:3 “Oh, come on! This can’t be for today.” “Why not?” “Foreign gods. Ashta-whatevers. Give me a break!” “Ashtaroth, the goddess of the moon and fertility, in many ancient places the epitome of sex. You don’t think we live in a sexualized society where people focus on it to an unhealthy degree, where manipulation and exploitation are rampant? Don’t you own a TV?”. “I see where you’re going with this. You’re gonna start beating me up with your Moral Majority club, aren’t you?" “Not exactly. It’s more about idolatry than morality. I know you’re a church member, you’re there most Sundays, and most people would call you a good Christian, right?" “Of course I am. I joined the church with my whole family back when Brother Buck Ripsnorter was the preacher. Best thing I’ve ever done." “So, you’re a part of God’s Kingdom, then, and He has made your heart His home." “Absolutely!" “So, anything you love or let your mind dwell on has a place in your heart, His home. And since wherever He is, His heavenly kingdom is, and anything that’s not of Heaven is by definition, ‘Foreign’. If you’ve ever harbored ungodly thoughts you’ve been harboring foreign gods and Ashtaroth." “uh...um...like what kind of thoughts?" Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21 “So, uh, hypothetically, if I’ve been giving a place to ‘foreign gods’, what should I do?” “Just what Samuel said. Put them away. Clear them out. Give your heart completely over to the God of your salvation, then watch Him whip all those temptations and foreign influences and make you free.” Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28 -30

No comments:

Post a Comment