Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sleep in Heavenly Peas?

Have you ever wondered what would be so heavenly about sleeping in peas, or just who John Virgin was, and what made him so round? One kid had drawn the manger scene, and off to the side was what looked like a snow man. His mom "ooo-ed and ah-ed" over his artistry, but said, "I don't think Frosty belongs here".
"Oh, that's not Frosty. That's the guy we always sing about in "Silent Night". You know, Round John Virgin."
Close! Funny how 'almost the right word' can be so, well, funny. Like the teller at the burger joint we stopped at. After she took our order, she asked my name to put on the receipt. I told her, she typed it in and handed me my copy. I glanced at it and snorted cola out my nose. "Wreck".
Ok, it was noisy, and I tend to save my outside voice for outside (or the pulpit), but "Wreck"? Who uses a name like that? Well, it was worth a chuckle, and then we forgot it. Until a couple of weeks later at a different restaurant in a different town, when the woman thought I said "Fred". Maybe I should start wearing a name tag. Or working on my enunciation. But I'll probably just blame them for not paying attention.
For if the trumpet gave an uncertain sound, who would prepare himself for war? 1 Corinthians 14:8
Back in the days before walkie-talkies, military movements were directed by bugle calls. You had calls for Charge, for Retreat, for Left and Right and more. There were a sufficient number that some sounded alike, and a commander had to be sure he had heard correctly. Otherwise, he might be zigging when he should have been zagging and be out of place or in the way. The bugler was given no leeway for winging it or improvisation - jazz musicians need not apply! He had to be both clear and precise in sounding out orders, or chaos was going to disrupt everything.
As a preacher, I'm very concerned that I be heard AND understood. If it's important that messages not be garbled in mundane matters, how much more important is it that they be clear in heavenly ones? So let me be clear: Eternal life, salvation, "getting right with God" is NOT about your denomination or baptismal status. It's not about your bank account or the kind of car you drive or the good things you're going to get around to doing "one of these days". What must you do to be saved? Here's what the Bible says:
...because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. Romans 10:9-10
Want more?
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. John 3:17
Hope that clears it up for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment